I recently made my very first diaper cake. I know, I know, they’ve been ubiquitous at baby showers for years now, but somehow I just never got around to making one. Until now. It was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was getting all those diapers bundled together without them going every which way. It helps to have an extra pair of hands for that step. Otherwise it was a piece of cake. <wink> I used the Moon Baby stamp set as well and the Pretty Kitty and Bella & Friends stamp sets, and the Whole Lot of Lovely Designer Series Paper (DSP.) I used Powder Pink and Pool Party to create a gender neutral cake, for times when you don’t know the baby’s gender, or for when you know there are a boy AND a girl.
Kittens and puppies seemed like an appropriate baby theme. I mean, they’re babies, too. So Pretty Kitty and Bella & Friends were the perfect stamp sets to use.
Here’s what I made:
Here’s what I did:
Cut and scored with my Stampin’ Trimmer:
- Whole Lot of Lovely Designer Series Paper (DSP) cut to 3″ x 12″, 4 pieces of one pattern for the bottom tier, and 3 pieces of another pattern for the top tier
Stamped with the Pretty Kitty stamp set:
- 6 cats in Memento black ink onto scraps of Whisper White card stock (CS)
Stamped with the Bella & Friends stamp set:
- 6 dogs in Memento black ink onto scraps of Whisper White CS
Stamped with the Moon Baby stamp set:
- 2 of the baby-on-moon images in Memento black ink onto scraps of Whisper White CS
Die cut using the Layering Circles Framelits:
- cats, dogs, and babies
- slightly larger circles from Powder Pink and Pool Party CS, to mat the stamped cat and dog images
Colored using Stampin’ Blends Markers:
- cats & dogs in Pink Pirouette and Pool Party
- babies in Pink Pirouette, Pool Party, Ivory, and Bronze
- one white doily in Pink Pirouette
- one white doily in Pool Party
- NOTE: I only colored the outer edges of the doilies, since most of the center would be covered up. I also learned – the hard way – to be sure to color the front side of the doily. The back side is too rough and will tear up the brush tip of your marker. Also, you can just use an ink pad to color the doilies.
Assembled the cake:
- rolled individual diapers and held them with rubber bands
- gathered enough diaper rolls together to create the bottom tier of the cake, and tied ribbon around to keep them together
- did the same thing to create the smaller top tier of the cake
- NOTE: I think I used about 50 diapers or so. It will depend on the diapers you use and on the size of your cake platter.
- glued together the lengths of DSP and wrapped around each cake tier
- glue the stamped images onto the larger die cut circles, then glued them onto the DSP strips
- glued the two doilies together, lining up the holes around the edges
- adhered a baby image to each side of the doilies using Stampin’ Dimensionals
- threaded a length of Solid Whisper White twine through the holes in the doilies at the top, and tied the ends to two wooden skewers
- poked the skewers down into the cake, careful not to puncture the diapers
Here are today’s colors:
You can click on each one to see all the products that come in that color!
Here’s what I used:
Click on these images for more details and to purchase.
Here’s some information you should check out:
- Want to order products from the new catalog now? There are two ways.
- Retiring products available through May 31 or while supplies last.
- Swatch Books & Product Shares for 2018-2019 Annual Catalog details
- SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter and daily blog updates
- My Class Calendar
- May Host Code SWA494STR
- Get my FREE Gift for May
- Earn Gumball Rewards
- Gift Certificates are available in any U.S. dollar amount from me. Contact me for details.
Thanks for stopping by today, and Sweet Stamping!