It’s Christmas Eve! It’s also National Eggnog Day, so today I’m sharing my favorite eggnog recipe. I’ve pieced it together from several different recipes I’ve come across over the years, until it’s just how I like it. This makes about a quart. I usually double everything to make about a half gallon. If more eggnog lovers are going to be around, I’ll make several double batches. Of course, it doesn’t matter how much there is, I’ll always find a way to finish it off!
Many people like to add liquor to their eggnog, whether it’s bourbon, rum, brandy, or something else. Feel free to add whatever you want. I prefer to leave it out, to get the full taste of the eggs and cream and vanilla. It’s almost like drinking egg custard, which is one of my favorite desserts.
This is not a low calorie recipe. It isn’t supposed to be. I believe in enjoying all the yummy things in moderation, instead of changing them to something less yummy just so I can have more. Eggnog is only a once a year thing for me, so I fully enjoy it at Christmas, then don’t have it again until the next year.
I hope you enjoy this yummy beverage whether you’re trimming the tree, lighting the Kinara, reciting Gita verses, reminiscing about this year’s Menorah, or doing something else to celebrate this time of year.
If you are reading this in email, some photos may appear blurry, or may not appear at all. Please click here to see the post on my blog.
S Eggnog Eggnog Eggnog Eggnog
Candy’s Eggnog Recipe:
- 6 egg yolks (*See note below about the egg whites.)
- 1/2 cup sugar (you can use up to 3/4 cup if you want it sweeter)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whole nutmeg
You’ll also need:
- mixer – a stand mixer makes this super easy because you have both hands free, but any mixer will do. Or a whisk if you’re into that sort of thing.
- heavy saucepan
- wooden spoon
- wire mesh strainer – not too fine or the thick eggnog will take forever to go through
- nutmeg grater, or any fine grater
- food thermometer, optional
- Beat the egg yolks until they are lighter in color.
- Slowly beat in the sugar.
- Heat milk and cloves on medium heat until steamy hot, but not quite boiling.
- Temper the eggs: Slowly whisk about half of the warm milk into the eggs, to warm them up without curdling them.
- Add the egg mixture back to the pan with the rest of the milk, and add the cream.
- Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it reaches 160 degrees F or until it coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain and let cool about an hour.
- Stir in the vanilla and chill thoroughly.
- Grate fresh nutmeg onto each serving.
* Some people like to whip the unused egg whites into a meringue, then fold it into the cold eggnog. This is not my preference, for multiple reasons. One reason is that I just prefer it without. Another reason is that I don’t want raw egg in my nog. The yolks in this recipe are cooked just enough so there’s nothing to upset my tummy. (I can’t drink eggnog from a store for that reason.)
Tip: To serve this in a punch bowl, pour some eggnog into a mold/molds and freeze it. That will keep it cold without watering it down with ice. Last year I set up an eggnog bar, with a big punchbowl of nog, a nutmeg grater, and an assortment of liquors. Bailey’s Irish Cream, Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, Amaretto, and Kahlua were popular add-ins, along with the regulars listed above.
And now back to stamping news:
Reserve your Designer Series Paper Swatch Books and Product Shares
I’ll be selling Swatch Books of all the new papers in the Jan-Jun 2021 Mini Catalog, paper shares, ribbon shares, and embellishment shares. You’ll save $25 when you get it all! Click on the image to get all the details and reserve yours today:
Whisper White is going away
The facility that manufactures Whisper White paper is closing due to COVID-19. But don’t fret. The new Basic White products are in the works! No other colors are affected. The following items are available only while supplies last, with an order limit of 2 per item per order.
- Cardstock, Whisper White 12″ x 12″ (124302)
- Cards & Envelopes, Assorted Memories & More (149710)
- Cards & Envelopes, Whisper White Note (131527)
- Envelopes, Whisper White 3″ x 3″ (145829)
- Cardstock, Whisper White 8-1/2″ x 11″ (100730)
- Cardstock, Whisper White 8-1/2″ x 11″ Thick (140272)
- Envelopes, Whisper White Medium (107301)
Here’s the Year-End Closeout
All retiring items will be available through 4 January 2021, or while supplies last. Click on the image to shop now!
Here’s the Curvy Celebrations offering:
Click the image to see it in my online store. The Curvy Christmas stamp set and Classic Christmas Designer Series Paper are available only through January 4, or while supplies last! The Quite Curvy stamp set and Curvy Dies will be in the Jan-Jun 2021 Mini Catalog.
Here’s the new catalog:
Click the image below to request your January-June 2021 Mini Catalog AND Sale-a-bration Brochure:
Here are some helpful links:
- December Host Code 7RW7BYPT – receive free product!
- Shop my online store
- Year-End Closeout
- Curvy Celebrations products – available only through January 4
- Shop the Clearance Rack
- Request a free catalog
- SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter and/or daily blog updates.
- Paper Pumpkin: buy a Prepaid Subscription or subscribe month to month
- Earn Gumball Rewards – receive free products!
- Gift Certificates are available in any U.S. dollar amount from me. Contact me for details.
- Have you shopped from me within the past year? Join my private VIP Facebook group for exclusive project tutorials and more!
- Join my team and enjoy a 20% discount (or more) on all your purchases! You choose $125 in products and pay only $99, and get free shipping! No obligation! No selling required!
Thanks for stopping by today, and Sweet Stamping!