Today I’m sharing photos from the third tour of my trip. Three other Stampin’ Up! demonstrators (Paula Butler, Lisa Freeman, and Lisa Padgett) and I toured Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Our guide for Pompeii was an archaeologist who has studied the ancient city, so she was very knowledgeable.
I used my phone to take some panoramic photos. The panorama software sometimes makes things look a bit wonky. That’s why some of the lines are oddly curved. Like these two of the amphitheatre in Pompei.
These are stepping stones for crossing the street. The sidewalks are higher than the street. That’s because the streets were usually covered in animal droppings and frequently flooded, and no one wanted to walk through all that. The stones had to be low enough for wagons to go over them. You can see the ruts in the stones from the wheels.
The sweat room. The floor was raised on the tiles you see here. Hot air was run under the floor so it was very hot. After sweating, they would be rubbed down with oil, then it would be scraped off. That was a bath. Remember, there was no soap.
I’m sure you’ve heard of the plaster molds of the victims of Pompei. Archaeologists kept finding empty spaces with bones in them. They started filling the cavities with plaster, then removing the dirt from around them. Here are a couple of those plaster people. The first one is lying down.
This was a wonderful day! I find Pompei absolutely fascinating. This was my second visit there, and I want to go back. They were very advanced, and after it was destroyed, it took centuries to get that technology back. This was my birthday, and the day my husband Neal arrived in Rome. He took me out for a delicious dinner, then we prepared to get on the ship the next morning.
Here are some helpful links:
- Shop my online store
- Clearance Rack
- SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter and daily blog updates.
- July Host Code 49E6Z4AF – receive free product!
- Paper Pumpkin: buy a Prepaid Subscription or subscribe month to month
- Earn Gumball Rewards – receive free products!
- Gift Certificates are available in any U.S. dollar amount from me. Contact me for details.
- Have you shopped from me within the past year? Join my private VIP Facebook group for exclusive project tutorials and more!
- Join my team and enjoy a 20% discount (or more) on all your purchases!
Thanks for stopping by today, and Sweet Stamping!